L-ARGININE: Overview, Uses, Side Effects
L-arginine is one form of amino acid. These are the building blocks of proteins. Amino acids are classified into two categories known as essential and nonessential amino acids. They can also be consumed through dietary sources.
L-arginine is known as a semi-essential amino acid, which means that it is essential under specific conditions such as during infancy, trauma, pregnancy, and serious illness.
L citrulline is also beneficial for overall health as it boosts the production of nitric oxide in the body.
L-arginine is important for the production of nitric oxide, which is a key molecule needed for various bodily functions such as cellular communication, mitochondrial function, and regulation of blood flow.
Benefits and uses of L Arginine
1. Athletic performance enhancement
Some evidence states that L-arginine supplements may boost performance during exercise by elevating the levels of nitric oxide in the body.
Nitric oxide functions by promoting blood flow and oxygen supply to the muscles.
2. L arginine supplement for Blood pressure regulation
L-arginine supplements are considered beneficial for people with high blood pressure issues.
Researches have indicated that L-arginine supplements help in lowering systolic (top value) and diastolic (bottom value) blood pressure readings.
L-arginine is also important for the production of nitric oxide for the relaxation of the cells that are involved in making blood vessels and for blood pressure regulation.
3. Management of critical illness
Arginine is quite critical, especially when your body experiences some infections or conditions like trauma. Your body needs higher levels of arginine in response to physiological demands.
Under such conditions, your body is unable to fulfill arginine needs, which then must be fulfilled through other external sources.
4. Blood sugar regulation
Studies indicated that L-arginine is beneficial for diabetes by enhancing insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism.
L-arginine produces nitric oxide, which plays an important role in the body’s response to insulin, cellular function, and a hormone that carries blood sugar from the blood to cells.
5. Treatment of erectile dysfunction
One review conducted in 2019 stated that taking about 1.5 to 5g doses of arginine supplements helped in improving erectile dysfunction as compared to placebo and non-treatment groups.
Buy L Arginine supplement
1000 mg L Arginine is available at the Life Pharmacy store. You can purchase L arginine supplement at a competitive price from the Life Pharmacy website online as well.
Side effects of L arginine supplements
Research has indicated that L-arginine is safe to use and has good tolerance even when taken daily for long periods of time (over one year).
- However, it may produce some mild side effects when taken in larger doses (more than 9g per day), such as nausea, bloating, diarrhea, and abdominal pains.
- One study conducted on 142 adults for 90 days showed that 30g dose per day did not cause any adverse side effects. It entails that even high doses are safe as well for short term use.
- They are considered safe to use normally, but still, some populations should avoid arginine supplements.
- For instance, L-arginine supplements must be avoided by following people with certain conditions such as low blood pressure, asthma, kidney disease, guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficiency (an inherited disorder that harms arginine metabolism), and cirrhosis of the liver.