Your sebaceous glands are responsible for producing sebum to maintain your skin moisturized and smooth. If the production of sebum exceeds the desired amount, your skin looks oily, which can result in acne flares.
The main reasons that make your skin oily are hormones and genetics. Fluctuating hormones lead to increased androgen. It is a male hormone that indicates the maturity of sebaceous glands.
The more sebum matures, the higher production of sebum androgen is in the body, the more sebum falls into the pores. This sebum is placed on the skin surface and makes the skin oily. In combination with dead skin cells and bacteria, when extra oil is trapped in the pores, it creates pimples and blackheads.
Tips for maintaining oily skin
1. Best face wash for oily skin
You should wash your face with a cleanser for oily skin twice a day to purify your skin once in the morning and once in the night.
If you feel like your skin has excessive oil and you tend to wash it during the daytime with a face wash for oily skin, try avoiding this step because this might strip the natural oils of your skin.
If you need to do something about the shine, wash your face with water and dry using a soft tissue or cloth.
Best cleanser for oily skin
One of the best cleansers for oily skin is:
Cetaphil oily skin cleanser
2. Best Toner for oily skin
Toners are intended to prevent excess oil, reduce the appearance of pores in the skin, and maintain the pH equilibrium of the skin, which as a result, moisturizes the skin while keeping germs away.
Toners are water-based in nature and consist of astringents that moisturize and soothe the skin. Some toners also contain alcohol, and they can over-dry and irritate sensitive skin, so go for non-alcohol if you are looking for a mild toner.
3. Best moisturizer for oily face
Do not assume that just because you have oily or combination skin, there is no need to moisturize your skin. The secret to healthy skin that gives you a moisturized, non-shiny look is to buy the right moisturizer.
One of the best moisturizers for oily skin is:
· Cetaphil moisturizer for oily skin
4. Exfoliate regularly
Exfoliating the skin helps to eliminate dirt and dead skin cells that can cause inflammation. Do not get harsh on your skin. Avoid rubbing your skin with a rough exfoliator.
This can result in drying your skin. Use a gentle face wash or wipe with sensitive skin two to three times once a week if the skin is hardy.
Remedies for oily skin
Honey is classified as golden liquid retaining moisture; this quality helps maintain the moisture. It is also a natural antiseptic that can benefit the acne skin and helps to soothe inflammation.
- Combine honey and milk in the same quantity. Apply the mixture to the skin and let the mixture dry. Wash your face with water. This mixture can be applied one time a week.
- Mix half banana with one tablespoon of honey. Apply this mixture on your face and cleanse your face with warm water for about 15-20 minutes. Apply this mixture about two to three times once a week.
- Make a scrubby making a mixture of brown sugar and honey. Massage the mixture on the face gently and wash it with warm water. To get smooth skin, apply this mixture once a week.
Tomatoes consist of astringent properties that calm irritated skin, and the antioxidants in them help to prevent the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Make a puree of medium-sized tomato and rub evenly on the forehead. Let the mixture sit for about 15-20 minutes, and then wash the mixture. If your skin has excess oil, you can use this home remedy every day if you have excessively oily skin.
- Use tomato puree and granulated sugar to make a thick paste. For 10 minutes, gently massage on the forehead. Let the skin lie down and wash off with water again for another 10 minutes. Do this three or four day a week.
- Extract the ripe tomato juice and add the freshly pressed lemon juice to a tablespoon. Apply this on your face before washing with cold water and allow it to dry by itself. After washing your skin, use this toner every day.